Thread: Compression Safely for unstable environments

Thanks

Question Compression Safely for unstable environments

Much of the backup is made ​​on external storage.

These media deteriorate, or generally may have scratches or defects.

So the backup was done using compression, which momentarily seems to be a good idea, for its smaller size. becomes a living hell, because a small data loss causes loss of large blocks of information, sometimes even the entire storage.

In these storage, like CDs or DVDs, sometimes data loss reaches 25% of the disk;

I wanted to know what kind of compression would work properly in such an environment, with an average of 15% of data loss in these type of storage;

What do you suggest?

Thanks
    Well RAR(and others) can add recovery information to help against such happenings, but maybe you should use something like PAR2 if you need a more robust system? plenty of software support across all major platforms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchive

Thanks

Thanks
    Dont forget redundancy, schemes like RAID-5, or Possibly ZFS, someone here is a ZFS guru since he knew the cluster size for bechmarking. I agree I am disappoint(sic) with optical media, my Iomega Zip disks magnetic media can still be read, but some CDs I have never touched their film can degrade in sunlight or extremes of cold. Honestly, the most indestructable while being feasible would be paper! You could print out barcodes of ZPAQ compressed data for the ultimate in indestructability with reasonable cost. Tape backup would be a more reasonable approach. Coaxial film technology is more mature, since we all had a VCR once.