Thread: Searching fast decompressable algorithms

Thanks

Searching fast decompressable algorithms

Hi,

I had an idea how to create compressed virtual partitions easily and so a friend and me started programming. We started writing a linux kernel module (because its easy using loop) and when we have a working alpha we will start with a windows version too. And now the reason why I'm writing this: we need some compression algorithms' sources - when they are fast enough the partition will be faster than a normal hdd. The criteria are:
    - (extremely) fast decompression
    - different compression speeds(fast ones with weak compression and slow ones with strong compression)
    - good with small files/small solid blocks (about 1mb-32mb)
    - doesn't matter with wich kind of files they are good, as long as they aren't much slower with other files(it's no problem that they are weaker)
    - ability to update archives would be handy but not important(because of small files/small solid blocks)

I already performed some tests whit large mixed files and tor, lzx, gzip, lzma and maybe FreeArc (a bit to slow when decompressing) are approximately what I'm searching for. Also Thor would maybe be great, but I would need a linux version or better the sources.... I hope Oscar plans to release them. Do you have some suggestions wich (de)compressors I could also try out?

Annother question not related to this topic but related to compression: Is somenone interested in extremely fast array sorting/searching algorithms? I've got an idea that maybe could be faster than quicksort.

Mimos

Thanks
    you would also need fast compression unless you dont care about writing speed on the partition

Thanks
    I need different compressions: fast+weak and not so fast but strong compressions and of course something in between. When writing data they will be compressed fast + weak. When there's nothing to do the data will be recompressed with a slower + stronger algorithm. The only attribute all compressions have to have is a high decompression speed.

Thanks
    >Annother question not related to this topic but related to compression: Is somenone interested in extremely fast array sorting/searching algorithms? I've got an idea that maybe could be faster than quicksort.

digital sort?

for fast decompression - the best algorithm is one Igor currently write. unfortunately, he still keeps it in secret

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin View Post
    for fast decompression - the best algorithm is one Igor currently write. unfortunately, he still keeps it in secret
    Yeah ho once wrote that he would not use thor like compression for fast compression but rather make something up himself.

i would wish he would concentrate on some filters/preprocessors and specific data compressors.

i have sadly turned away from 7-zip due to the lack of compression abilities. i once used as my only compression tools

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin View Post
    >Annother question not related to this topic but related to compression: Is somenone interested in extremely fast array sorting/searching algorithms? I've got an idea that maybe could be faster than quicksort.

digital sort?

you mean LZMH.. i've test it on my pcs and it has fast compression/decompression similar to cab but with higher compression ratio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SvenBent View Post
    Yeah ho once wrote that he would not use thor like compression for fast compression but rather make something up himself.

i would wish he would concentrate on some filters/preprocessors and specific data compressors.

i have sadly turned away from 7-zip due to the lack of compression abilities. i once used as my only compression tools
    Yeah Iam looking forward to freearc, it seems to be very promising AND its os.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimos View Post
    I need different compressions: fast+weak and not so fast but strong compressions and of course something in between. When writing data they will be compressed fast + weak. When there's nothing to do the data will be recompressed with a slower + stronger algorithm. The only attribute all compressions have to have is a high decompression speed.
    What about LZO?

Tester
    Thanks
    QuickLZ, Zlib
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates