Thread: Need to compress a video to 1MB/min, at 320x240 resolution, for portable media player

Thanks

Question Need to compress a video to 1MB/min, at 320x240 resolution, for portable media player

It's definitely possible. I was on a video forum a while ago and I asked about it and some guy managed to compress a video file to 1MB/min, at 320x180 resolution (video file's name says 240x180, but VLC media player says 320x180). The video (and sound quality) are fine and he said that it wasn't even a challenge (implying that he could most likely get the video to my file size, which isn't even much of a difference anyway).

I think he used MainConcept Refernce, with H.264, at MP4, which my brother has. I used it to compress the video to about 136kbps (about 1MB/min), but there were many artifacts that were very distracting (his video has no artifacts), he said that he won't give the settings he used away for free, so I don't know what settings he used to get it so good.

Has anyone here had any experience with MainConcept Reference? Do you know what settings he could have used to get it so good? Is there any other software that you use that you are sure will be able to compress my videos to 1MB/min, with no artifacts?

Here is his video that he successfully compressed with good quality: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27054690/Mar...s%20Sample.mp4

Please help me if you can.

Thanks
    Did you try x264? It probably offers the best quality among h264 coders.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Piotr Tarsa View Post
    Did you try x264? It probably offers the best quality among h264 coders.
    Yes, x264 is much better than MainConcept nowadays. And h264 is probably the best codec that a portable player has a chance of playing.
    http://compression.ru/video/codec_comparison/h264_2011/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by STA2000 View Post
    Is there any other software that you use that you are sure will be able to compress my videos to 1MB/min, with no artifacts?
    Where this 1MB/min constraint comes from? Is it some internal throughput limit? If not, then I would say you're just after small files and in such cases constant bitrate is not the best solution quality-wise. As suggested earlier, I also recommend x264, more precisely JEEB's builds of L-SMASH, which has e.g. better audio support and mp4 muxer.

http://x264.fushizen.eu/

Try tuning constant ratefactor (--crf) by setting it as high as possible (the lower it is, the better quality you get and bigger file size), yet maintaining acceptable quality. Size will change depending on what and how much is going on the screen, but in the end results will be better. Start maybe with 25 and depending on the results go up/down.

You would get even better results using Hi10P, but you wouldn't be able to play it on such stand-alone player. Maybe in 5-10 years it'll become so mainstream that low-end players will be able to handle this.

Thanks
    The link is broken. Could you re-upload it? Thanks.