Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WebP (lossy image compression)

Thanks
    Quite a change from previous article, though i guess that the real difference comes from the size of images in the set. And i agree that web-centric images are supposed to be bandwidth friendly.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyan View Post
    Quite a change from previous article, though i guess that the real difference comes from the size of images in the set. And i agree that web-centric images are supposed to be bandwidth friendly.
    Yes, but not only. The images are just different. Very few photos, and even they were sometimes in terribly low quality (i.e. blurred) that you can't find in benchmarks. 50% of images larger then 30x30 has text on them. Many are just text. Many are partially transparent and transparency patterns are again very different from what you see in usual benchmarks.

Thanks
    Have you received some help to focus your study into the right direction ?
    With all known benchmarks focusing on high-quality photographic sources, i guess it was not so natural to go "against the mainstream" and analyze performance for web images...
    Brilliant move by the way

Thanks
    With all known benchmarks focusing on high-quality photographic sources, i guess it was not so natural to go "against the mainstream" and analyze performance for web images...
    I just noticed that most images that I see on the net are different from what people benchmark and decided to see how do compressors work on such data.
    Though it's not exactly new. The idea to look at Alexa was taken from the PNGWolf author, for example. I guess that Google's test was on web data too.
    Also, I thought about establishing a public benchmark dataset, but after noticing the flaw of having too many similar images, I decided that the work should be redone. I still think it would be useful, but I don't have the motivation to do it now.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by m^2; 28th November 2011 at 22:49.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    I tested webpll and some other codecs on web png data.
    https://extrememoderate.wordpress.co...ion-benchmark/
    Why didn't you consider adding ZPAQ with -mbmp_j4 ? Speed is roughly the same as webpll (decompression is N times slower, but on images smaller than ~256 kb the difference is not that big), while compression quality is probably better than webpll ...at least if you remove first ~600 or 700 bytes containing compressed bmp_j4.cfg from each compressed file.

This newsgroup is dedicated to image compression:
    http://linkedin.com/groups/Image-Compression-3363256

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Rhatushnyak View Post
    Why didn't you consider adding ZPAQ with -mbmp_j4 ? Speed is roughly the same as webpll (decompression is N times slower, but on images smaller than ~256 kb the difference is not that big), while compression quality is probably better than webpll ...at least if you remove first ~600 or 700 bytes containing compressed bmp_j4.cfg from each compressed file.
    Because it's entirely different game. All these algorithms have way faster decompression speed and memory consumption then ZPAQ. Even though the difference in decompression time might be tiny on your PC, I can assure it wouldn't be on my cell phone. Especially that the largest image has 1.8 MB. I had really mixed feelings about JPEG2000 because it's rather slow...

I considered using BMF and/or Gralic as a way to estimate entropy of the dataset, but after all decided against it. The main reason was that I grew really tired of all these bugs. Most of tools that I used had critical problems and adding another pair of codecs would be a very unpleasant exercise.

Thanks
    m^2:
    You've mentioned in your article that HTTP overhead would cancel benefits of WebP's small header size. I think that it's not true, as Google developed also the SPDY protocol which is much less reduntant than HTTP. Google Chrome is the only browser that supports SPDY and is also supports WebP. The same goes for websites that uses WebP and SPDY - AFAIK only some Google services use SPDY, so using a WebP format by Google would make Google's services appear much faster in Google Chrome than in other browsers.

Thanks
    I didn't study SPDY protocol, but I guess that you still need at least 1 roundtrip per file, which is a lot comparing to the time needed to transfer even 200 B.
    I'm no expert here, so it's quite likely that I'm wrong. I welcome corrections.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyan View Post
    +1

thanks for the effort and the interesting results!
    The choice of testing set is really on-spot regarding the intended use.

Thanks
    I didn't study SPDY protocol, but I guess that you still need at least 1 roundtrip per file, which is a lot comparing to the time needed to transfer even 200 B.
    HTTP 1.1 keep-alive and SPDY both do pipelining.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by willvarfar View Post
    HTTP 1.1 keep-alive and SPDY both do pipelining.
    So your estimation is that it would matter?

Thanks
    There's another way to get rid of http round-trip: embed the picture coded in Base64 directly into the HTML file, it's called Data URI.

Apple uses this on icloud.com and I've also spotted some Google logos embedded this way.
    Of course Base64 encoding actually expands the file size by 1/3 since 3 bytes are converted into 4 ASCII chars, afterwards the resulting HTML file can be compressed on the fly by the server (using Deflate) during transmission.

Thanks
    Thank you Piotr, willvarfar, caveman. I corrected the post.

Thanks
    If I remember correctly, SPDY-enabled server can parse the HTML on its side and insert the additional resources (CSS, JS, images, etc) into the compressed stream without prior requests from client.
    For extremely small images, say below 200 bytes, it may be still more efficient to include it directly in HTML in Base64 encoded format. Base64 increases size by 1/3, but without embedding files you need to insert path to image file into HTML, which adds information (so stream size will grow even after compression).
    Last edited by Piotr Tarsa; 29th November 2011 at 16:58.

Thanks
    I tested webpll and some other codecs on web png data.
    https://extrememoderate.wordpress.co...ion-benchmark/

To give you a sense what I went through, a JPEG2000 transparency story:
    OpenJPEG doesn't support transparency at all.
    Nconvert doesn't support lossless mode at all.
    ImageMagick corrupts data when used this way.
    Jasper accepts only bitmaps. But not transparent ones produced by ImageMagick.
    Kakadu accepts only bitmaps. But not transparent ones produced by ImageMagick.
    Jasper doesn?t accept bitmaps created by Nconvert either.
    But Kakadu does!
    Nconvert corrupts data with such translation.
    Get a Mac
    Could you check the JPEG2000 file attached to this message?
    It was produced by GraphicConverter (Mac OS X has native JPEG2000 support since big size icons are compressed this way).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    My image viewer crashes on it....

But XnView shows it just fine.

When it comes to NConvert, it didn't corrupt all images. At least I think it didn't. So actually most of the files were transparent.

Thanks
    Does anyone know how webpll handles grayscale pictures?
    Does it have a specific mode for grayscale or does it treat all pictures as if they were RGB?

Feeded with grayscale PNGs saved as RGB files it produces exactly the same webpll file (and webpll2png outputs apparently only 32-bits RGBA PNGs).

33544 eyeRGB.png
    23829 eyeG.png

23291 eyeRGB.webpll
    23291 eyeG.webpll

3537 firewireRGB.png
    2311 firewireG.png

1885 firewireRGB.webpll
    1885 firewireG.webpll
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eyeG.png 
Views:	276 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	1747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firewireG.png 
Views:	266 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	1748  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: zip G.zip (111.7 KB, 215 views)

Thanks
    From my tests it just converts everything, including low bit depth images(ie 3/4 bit) to 24-bit colour, and as mentioned in my post therefore looses whatever fixed palette you had for an image :/ i guess it's not ultra bad though in a way, as if you are working on an image you'd work/save in something like PSD/TIFF, and then publish it as a JPEG. So you'd sorta do the same with this, work in PNG to retain your palette then publish as a WebPLL file.

Thanks
    WebPLL slowness makes it unsuitable for using in any other way anyway...

Thanks
    Yeah it's hella slow, at least at this time. Maybe they'll optimise it when it's ready for full release, but i wouldn't expect a major speed boost, maybe more switches though to cut out some steps.

Thanks
    Just been trying out the new experimental release of WebP lossless and it is significantly faster, it's actually usable now. It's gone from taking several minutes on my some of my files to only a few seconds, depending on the file of course. On some files even though it takes significantly less time to encode the size is actually smaller, and on some files it's bigger but only by a very small margin. On tiny files(ie less than 1k) the size can double and then it's about the same as the original PNG in some cases.

http://code.google.com/p/webp/downloads/list

I just used a simple dopus script to test it quickly. -o on the filenames just indicates it was done by the previous version of the encoder.
    @externalonly 
    echo Start : %time%
    png2webpll-o {file} -o {file|noext}-o.webpll
    echo Finished Old: %time%
    png2webpll {file} -o {file|noext}.webpll
    echo Finished New: %time%
    pause

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrinsic View Post
    On tiny files(ie less than 1k) the size can double and then it's about the same as the original PNG in some cases.
    I had a quick look at the specs, I'm not sure the previous version had proper RIFF image header (VP8L tag is webpll), if I understand their goal they would like to offer a single lib that would decode .webp and .webpll files.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    I had a quick look at the specs, I'm not sure the previous version had proper RIFF image header (VP8L tag is webpll), if I understand their goal they would like to offer a single lib that would decode .webp and .webpll files.
    You are right previous versions did not have RIFF image header, it now has: RIFF....WEBPVP8L

Thanks
    FYI, the Windows 10 October Update (2018 ) includes "Webp Image Extensions". I don't know if this means that Edge now supports webp. CanIUse says that there's a flag for webp in Edge 18 (which is part of the October Update), but there isn't as far as I can tell (in about:flags)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidComp View Post
    FYI, the Windows 10 October Update (2018 ) includes "Webp Image Extensions". I don't know if this means that Edge now supports webp. CanIUse says that there's a flag for webp in Edge 18 (which is part of the October Update), but there isn't as far as I can tell (in about:flags)
    https://www.cnet.com/news/googles-we...icrosoft-edge/

"WebP Image Extension" UWP app has been available for install in the Microsoft Store for quite a while: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9pg2dk419drg

26. Thanks:

SolidComp (6th October 2018)

Thanks
    And Firefox is going to support webp in early 2019: https://www.cnet.com/news/firefox-to...-a-faster-web/

Looks like critical mass, all except for Apple/Safari.

Note that it's not clear that webp is better than JPEG if we assume that we have all our JPEG optimizers and encoders available. webp doesn't have the ecosystem of a dozen third-party optimizers – it just has Google's implementation. It's much slower to decode than JPEG, and probably uses more battery, but Google won't release any data.

webp seems to do better when compared to PNG, but it's not clear that it's better if compared to the gauntlet of PNG optimizers and reducers, much less good lossy PNG like pngquant. In 2018, there's a lot you can do to optimize and compress JPEG and PNG, with dozens of tools. There are no equivalent tools for webp.

If people want to replace JPEG, they need to discard the myopic web-centric approach, and build a new image acquisition format – the format that cameras use to encode images when photos are taken. All this webp, HEIC, PIK, and AV1 stuff does nothing for image acquisition, so the cameras are still going to be birthing images as JPEGs. Then we're reduced to reducing the size of an already lossy image format. It would be wise to step back and think deeply about the kinds of problems and challenges faced at image acquisition, bring in Nikon, Canon, Fujifilm, Panasonic, Sony, LEICA, et al to map out what we can do to improve upon JPEG for acquisition, and how that would help downstream file sizes on the web.

HDR should be banked in, and there might be ways to optimize an image format for machine learning and object recognition. That would be really handy.

Thanks
    Some precisions:

Note that it's not clear that webp is better than JPEG if we assume that we have all our JPEG optimizers and encoders available. webp doesn't have the ecosystem of a dozen third-party optimizers – it just has Google's implementation. It's much slower to decode than JPEG, and probably uses more battery, but Google won't release any data.
    it's mostly a corpus problem: any serious such study involves a massive corpus of third-party images (namely: crawled on the web) that you can't publish for reproducibility. The reader's (normal) reaction would be: i can't reproduce, must be wrong.

webp seems to do better when compared to PNG, but it's not clear that it's better if compared to the gauntlet of PNG optimizers and reducers, much less good lossy PNG like pngquant. In 2018, there's a lot you can do to optimize and compress JPEG and PNG, with dozens of tools. There are no equivalent tools for webp.
    Any optimized PNG, using whatever tool, can be further re-compressed losslessly with WebP as post-processing. Except very rare cases, you'll still get extra compression out of it, for the same optimized output.

If people want to replace JPEG, they need to discard the myopic web-centric approach,
    the volume of images consumed on the web is orders of magnitude larger than the amount of images captured (which in itself is already a very large number, agreed).

and build a new image acquisition format – the format that cameras use to encode images when photos are taken. All this webp, HEIC, PIK, and AV1 stuff does nothing for image acquisition, so the cameras are still going to be birthing images as JPEGs. Then we're reduced to reducing the size of an already lossy image format. It would be wise to step back and think deeply about the kinds of problems and challenges faced at image acquisition, bring in Nikon, Canon, Fujifilm, Panasonic, Sony, LEICA, et al to map out what we can do to improve upon JPEG for acquisition, and how that would help downstream file sizes on the web.
    Acquisition and delivery to end point are two separate process that target different resolutions, quality range, etc. The user scenario where you deliver the same bytes that were captured is extremely reduced (basically: "i want to look at the photo i just took on my phone right away!"). Most other scenario of delivery over the web include a re-encoding to a set of quality / resolution / format targets.

And AVIF (based on AV1) is here to address the 'capture' use case, note.

Thanks
    Note that it's not clear that webp is better than JPEG
    WebP lossy is a lot more efficient at low qualities, but reproduces material textures less accurately than jpeg. WebP used to have a remarkable artefacts and got a bad reputation, but these are mostly fixed. Some may require settings flags, but probably it can be automated later. Two problems will however remain, yuv420 kills some colors and poor performance for subtle textures. Even if it is slightly worse at some use cases, it allows alpha with lossy coding.

... JPEG optimizers and encoders available. webp doesn't have the ecosystem of a dozen third-party optimizers – it just has Google's implementation. It's much slower to decode than JPEG, and probably uses more battery, but Google won't release any data.
    WebP lossless was built by same people that built Zopfli NG, which is a well-accepted PNG optimizer. Many ideas for Zopfli came from my work for WebP lossless. There are no 3rd party encoders, because the stock encoder is pretty hard to beat.

I find pngquant adequate and the probability that something we I would build would be significantly better is low. You can run pngquant as a preprocessor for WebP lossless for acquiring a palette. WebP does smart things with the palette: it will even be able to predict palette indices when it makes sense.

WebP lossy has seen a similar amount of love from Skal. I have stayed away from the lossy coding except for inventing the yuv420 mitigation added to it.

The camera people are really hardcore technologists. I think they will make right decisions at right time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyrki Alakuijala View Post
    The camera people are really hardcore technologists. I think they will make right decisions at right time.
    The camera market works differently. I doubt they will go for another non-proprietary lossy format anytime soon. The camera business works by selling people a "low quality JPEG image for all-day purpose" and a "high quality proprietary raw image" which you can "develop" at the PC. "Raw" is here used for a "vendor lock in" mechanism, so camera vendors have only little interest in changing this market. All they need is a format that "works for them good enough" so they do not scare customers away, and JPEG works well enough for this as everybody knows how to handle it. High compression is not needed, and the improvements (though present) in visually transparent compression regime are not interesting enough to justify an incompatibility.

Thanks
    Sadly, lepton (dropbox) didn't go to the masses as a new image format.
    Although it has both good speed and excellent compression, and some backward compatibility ...
    If we compare lepton as a format with other compression formats, only in very-lossy it will be worse than webp and av1 and based on h265
    And in "visual lossless" to be an unattainable leader.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast