Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: NanoZip - a new archiver, using bwt, lz, cm, etc...

Expert
    Thanks
    Could be, but we had this conversation in 2011 when I first wrote my book. I wrote a lot of detail about the Calgary corpus because it is cited in papers going back 30 years, and less about newer benchmarks. Sami seemed very sensitive to any perceived criticism by me of his work (which I thought was quite good). I did expand my brief mention to a whole section on his benchmark at his insistence after he accused me of being biased against his work. (I did write a lot about my own benchmarks, so I suppose he was right). But the fact is he has not updated his benchmark since 2012 and nobody else uses it, just like too many other newer benchmarks that were abandoned.

I don't know what Sami is doing now. With his technical skills I am sure he could be very successful.

Expert
    Thanks
    I just received the sad news in a private email that Sami Runsas died of a brain tumor in Jan. or Feb. 2013. He did not tell anyone about his illness until Dec. 2012 when his condition was hopeless. I think he was about 30 years old.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
    I just received the sad news in a private email that Sami Runsas died of a brain tumor in Jan. or Feb. 2013. He did not tell anyone about his illness until Dec. 2012 when his condition was hopeless. I think he was about 30 years old.
    I had exchanged e-mails with him in September of 2014...
    Last edited by comp1; 20th June 2015 at 18:01.

Thanks

Expert
    Thanks
    OK, now I am mystified.

Tester
    Thanks
    I cannot believe this

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by comp1 View Post
    I had exchanged e-mails with him in September of 2014...
    I just don't get it... What's going on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzalo View Post
    I just don't get it... What's going on?
    Same here. Site says updated on april 2014: http://nanozip.net/

Thanks
    I liked nanozip for its effiency. it hit a good sweetspot for me. i just really never got Sami himself he always sems hostile when people where not overpraising his software. Back when Christian i think it was ( RZM CCM(z)) tried the text compression with a permuted alphabet to see if it used word based dictionary prefiltering or not, and came to the conclusion it looked liked it i did, Sami was quick to accuse him for just wanting to badmouth his software.

Thanks
    Funny note.
    I've juat got acces to my old backup archive again re acutally now converting all nanozip -cO or -co made archives back to 7-zip and optimzining it with m7zrepacker. and it actually seems to create a tiny bit smaller archives with m7zrepacker.
    compression time is offcause of the charts but with the improved decompression time and less step to handle i highly prefer thiz way. just shows ther are still a lot of potential in 7-zip that is still unharnessed in its native compression software

Thanks
    I have tested nanozip in the scope of my specific test, and as I'm still searching the best archiver for it, I'm ok for splitting the discussion to another topic.

The "corpus": 10+GB of game data (thus not distributable), with most parts already compressed (audio/video or specific pack format), hence a compression ratio of 80% with 7zip ultra/48MB dictionary. I want to avoid long install times (updates, net-only data, ...), much like why one would want to backup his system, besides documents.

I'm interested in compression ratio and decoding speed. The benchmark has 7zip as anchor: around 84xx of data, 18 minutes to compress, 7 to decompress (no file output, around 27MB/s of decompressed data). By the way, I'd like speedier decompression; please, no discussion on why it's unnecessary.

The archiving is for my own needs and system: Win64, 8GB, 6 cores. So, memory and encoding speed are somewhat not an issue: encoding can be done overnight and use most of the memory (say, 6GB). Decoding may have something running alongside, so 4GB is probably the upper limit.

I have looked at various benchmarks like Matt Mahoney's to sort and keep (those that looked like) the best performers, and produced this list: *paq* family, 7zip, rar, nanozip, freearc.

rar (actually, Winrar 5.3) was impressive: 10 minutes compressing, ~3 minutes decompressing, 86xx file. I have yet to decide whether I prefer 7zip (but I found nanozip).

freearc 0.666 was efficient but unfortunately too slow: at the ultra level, 1H encoding for a 80xx file but 18MB/s output. More asymmetric (or rather, speedier decoding) led to lower compression ratio than 7zip with actually not enough improvement. If you have better settings or version...

Then, nanozip. Here are more precise benchmarks (can't seem to prettyprint it):
    No code has to be inserted here.
    The results rate nanozip as probably the "best" for my case, certainly due to the good multithreading support (which 7zip lacks). Unfortunately, it lacks in several aspects: data "sustainability" (development discontinued, author having uncertain situation, past issues), ease of use (I do prefer a GUI in the end).

Do you have any suggestion (settings, version or archiver)? For now, GUI integration is less important, but availability of source code is surely providing bonus points in my test.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by kurosu; 29th November 2015 at 10:54.

Thanks
    I'm sorry for a necrobump but has anyone heard of Sami Runsas recently? I've tried Googling for him but it's all dead and calm

Quote Originally Posted by kurosu View Post
    Do you have any suggestion (settings, version or archiver)? For now, GUI integration is less important, but availability of source code is surely providing bonus points in my test.
    Considering that Sami Runsas has effectively disappeared, his website has been down for quite some time already it doesn't seem rational to use his archiver for anything permanent which needs to be open years from now. At the same time it's unlikely that Windows stops working or PCs change so much that you cannot run the old x86 code in a VM, so you'll always have a chance of running his archiver and decompressing your archives.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,269 Times in 717 Posts

Thanks
    And it was later refuted. I'm confused.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    And it was later refuted. I'm confused.
    Sami always did exhibit narcissistic behavior. So, assuming that he actually did die, I wouldn't be all that surprised if rumor of his passing wasn't pushed a few months prior to his actual death such that he could see people sing his praises prior to his actual passing. Sad if that were the case.

Total speculation, I admit. And I hate to speak ill of the dead but, other than the simpler explanation that he simply quit and never came back, it is the only explanation which I can think of that both explains why all activity on his part has stopped and why his website got updated months after news of his passing.

We have lost other active members of this group who passed away without anyone immediately noticing though. So it wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened.

This all is a solid argument for making work publicly available. I assume that almost none of us would prefer to pass silently only to have all of our accomplishments simply disappear with us.

Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by michael maniscalco View Post
    Sami always did exhibit narcissistic behavior. So, assuming that he actually did die, I wouldn't be all that surprised if rumor of his passing wasn't pushed a few months prior to his actual death such that he could see people sing his praises prior to his actual passing. Sad if that were the case.

Total speculation, I admit. And I hate to speak ill of the dead but, other than the simpler explanation that he simply quit and never came back, it is the only explanation which I can think of that both explains why all activity on his part has stopped and why his website got updated months after news of his passing.

We have lost other active members of this group who passed away without anyone immediately noticing though. So it wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened.

This all is a solid argument for making work publicly available. I assume that almost none of us would prefer to pass silently only to have all of our accomplishments simply disappear with us.
    Do we have anyone from Finland? He must have worked/work somewhere, there must be some records. Also, he's got a LinkedIn profile, however I cannot view it since I've never bothered to sign up. Whenever happened to him, we need to know. In case he's died he might have left a last will, his closest relatives might have access to his computer and since he didn't strike me as a shady person, I'm almost sure he didn't encrypt his whole drive and sources for his applications might be possibly recovered ... if it's not too late. It's not entirely clear if these sources can be seen/examined/reused by anyone since he could have intended to write a commercial version of NanoZip but in this case his relatives should have run an auction or started a company to benefit from them and nothing like that has transpired.

Also, I don't know about Finland but in some Western countries eulogies for the dead are being published online and there's absolutely nothing in the .fi domain as if his name is not real. No companies have ever listed him as his employee.

What if he was a savant and he never left home and he only had his mom and no one else. So many questions and no answers. Damn.

Thanks
    Do we have anyone from Finland?
    It is a compression forum. Of course we have people from Finland.

He must have worked/work somewhere, there must be some records.
    I don't think he was employed other than possibly for an unrelated summer job during his high school times.

Whenever happened to him, we need to know.
    I can help to figure things out if there is interest. I knew him personally.

What if he was a savant and he never left home and he only had his mom and no one else. So many questions and no answers. Damn.
    I wouldn't call him a savant, just a slightly shy person with great focus, no fear for intellectual challenges, and a flexible mind.

18. Thanks:

birdie (31st January 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by michael maniscalco View Post
    Sami always did exhibit narcissistic behavior.
    I never observed narcissistic behavior in Sami.

Sami was very young, inexperienced and careful. It might be possible to misinterpret these characteristics.

20. Thanks (3):

JamesB (31st January 2020),michael maniscalco (30th January 2020),Mike (30th January 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyrki Alakuijala View Post

Sami was very young, inexperienced and careful. It might be possible to misinterpret these characteristics.
    I'll take your word for it. My observations are strictly from a very limited amount of evidence through this group. I certainly intend no disrespect to his memory. Perhaps it was simply the appearance of narcissism that comes with youth and nothing more. And we likely all can identify with that from some point in our own pasts.

22. Thanks:

Lucas (30th January 2020)

Thanks
    I can help to figure things out if there is interest. I knew him personally.
    Please do, thanks a whole lot!

Since you knew him personally could you tell whether his name is real or not? It's quite unusual when people have a name that no one else has.

And if he indeed passed away, please inquire what happened to his digital archive, whether he left a last will and whether his source code/work can be shared.

Thanks

I agree maybe narcissit is pretty strong.
    he did go into a bit of a spat with christian when christian was analysing his compression with permuted text.

but all in all he gave us a free tool to play with that was impressive and he is a loss for the community.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,269 Times in 717 Posts
    I tried upscaling the 44x44 photo from Sami's facebook account.
    Maybe Jyrki can confirm if its really his
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sami_upscaled_image_x4.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	7315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sami1.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	7316  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Looks like his LinkedIn profile no longer works since yesterday or today.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelwien View Post
    44x44 photo
    He looked like a friendly guy in person, less aggressive than these thumbnails. It could be the Sami (he was a normal looking blonde guy), but this picture is not representative.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SvenBent View Post
    I liked nanozip for its effiency. it hit a good sweetspot for me. i just really never got Sami himself he always sems hostile when people where not overpraising his software. Back when Christian i think it was ( RZM CCM(z)) tried the text compression with a permuted alphabet to see if it used word based dictionary prefiltering or not, and came to the conclusion it looked liked it i did, Sami was quick to accuse him for just wanting to badmouth his software.
    Sami was actually polite in pointing out to me what according to him were the "factual errors" in my BWT page:

https://sites.google.com/site/datacompressionguide/bwt3

He seemed to be against compression of bwts and szip.

I just told him "i update my pages where i see fit." But of course i did mention "Nanozip" which he acknowledged through an email in 2009.

My BWT page was written during popularity of D. Scott's bijective BWT.
    Last edited by compgt; 1st February 2020 at 10:19.

Thanks
    I had also about 80 email exchanges with sami (sami@compressionratings.com) between 2009 and 2012 mainly about lzturbo testing
    and suggestions to improve the compressionratings benchmarks, the result presentation and possibly the corpus.
    He was very happy getting feedback about his site, he was always correct and had answered my mails very quickly
    and sometimes extensively.

I've tried to encourage him to continue working on nanozip,
    but he seemed from the beginning not interested to work on it and was very busy with other things, especially
    in 2012 when he abandoned compressionratings.

His last response was at 2012.03.17.
    I've later written emails at 2013.03.19 and at 2014.09.19, but he never answered.

some technical extracts:
    I'm very busy so I cannot spent time on further testing. Currently I do
    tests once in 2 months, I will test lzturbo the next time.

4.2010 - Can you take a look at the comp.ratings site now? I'd appreciate any
    comments about the changes.
    I "solved" the App2 problem by copying the files in random order into a
    single file (like image). Now it should be fair for all compressors
    since the file order is the same.

12.2009 - Let's discuss this in more detail. It is very helpful to share some
    opinions about your suggestions, because currently the site is tuned
    for my own and couple of my friends preferences and I want to implement
    any improvements that others have.

5.2009 - I don't know what is a bmp filter. NZ has a separate image compressor,
    that with 2d prediction + residual coding, but I totally failed with
    that, it's not very good. It works only for real photographic images,
    which are not very common today.

5.2009 - NZ-co (opt1) was supposed to compete with lzma, but currently I've
    failed with it. It uses more expensive model for literals and matches
    (I don't recall, was it longer than 8 ) not very long are not optimized
    at all for speed. I would need to rewrite opt1 completely (of course
    lots of other areas of nz would need more work too), but NZ is a bit
    too ambitious and currently I'm a bit tired to work with it at all.

Last edited by dnd; 31st January 2020 at 21:48.

Thanks
    I've done some research with the supposed sami profile from shelwien and asked one person about this profile.
    He confirmed that this is the true "sami runsas" in the picture. That's his response:

Yes I knew him, and he died around 2013-2014. He didnt have wife or kids, I guess his parents are still alive but dont know how to contact them, unfortunately.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dnd View Post
    His last response was at 2012.03.17.
    Last I heard of him was 2012-10-28. At that time he carried his disease with courage and a positive mood and outlook on life.

Thanks
    Last I heard of him was 2012-10-28. At that time he carried his disease with courage and a positive mood and outlook on life.
    Last response I have from Sami was 7 October 2014...We were discussing the possibility of creating a data segmentation tool separate from NanoZip.

Thanks
    @Jyrki Alakuijala

Have you managed to find out anything?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast