Thread: a little bit off-topic, but an useful open-source - program to mount cd/dvd - images

Thanks

a little bit off-topic, but an useful open-source - program to mount cd/dvd - images

http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wincdemu/files/

WinCDEmu is an open-source software that allows mounting CD/DVD images
    by clicking at the image files in Windows Explorer.

WinCDEmu supports ISO, CUE, NRG, MDS/MDF, CCD, IMG formats and
    runs on all Windows versions from WinXP to Win7.

best regards

Thanks
    Yep, famous thing.
    Not open-source, but may be interesting freeware:
    Fantom DVD Virtual CD/DVD-ROM free - ashdisc, bwt;b5t;b6t, cmi, bin/cue, ccd;dvd, p2i;rif, udi, cpm;dvm;rmg;vmg, iso;bin;dat;raw, img, mds, ncd, nrg, nsi, pdi, c2d, cdi, gi, ixa;ixb, wav
    MagicDisc MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-ROM free - ISO, MDF/MDS, NRG, VCD, CCD, BWI/BWT..
    SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive free - ISO, BIN, CCD..

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

there is a beta of a portable version of WinCDEmu 3.4 out. It still suffers from the fact that one has to have admin-rights for using it (as all programs suffer from that have to install drivers, such as TrueCrypt for instance). But at least you can run it without rebooting and stuff (if you have an admin of the current machine at hand...)

Best regards!

Tester
    Thanks
    Is there some comparison to Daemon Tools Lite and other freeware? I don't want to switch and then learn of the disadvantages the hard way
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Fox View Post
    Is there some comparison to Daemon Tools Lite and other freeware? I don't want to switch and then learn of the disadvantages the hard way
    If you'd like to know if it emulates copy-protection (like Daemon-Tools do, iirc), well, I'm not the right one to give you experience-reports, since I do not have ripped games or videos (honestly!).
    But if you want to know if it works for me to mount a variety of *nix-images, Win7-Beta and RC => yup, it does without any glitch. One time the error sat in front of the monitor (while testing the beta), and the other problems turned out to be defective images. Re-downloading these images solved the problem.
    Note that I'm on XP, SP3 and have the installed version of WinCDEmu (sadly I cannot remember if I started with 1.0 or 2.0). No problems in everyday-use, but no special-cases really tested.
    Possibly you are the right candidate for the portable solution to test. If it doesn't work -> simply switch back by "uninstalling" the driver (using the button in the lower left corner of the program) and deleting the stand-alone executable.

Best regards!

Tester
    Thanks
    I don't care much for copy-protection. Call me weird, but I create images from my CDs to prolong their lifetime and I use cracks to evade the eventual need for cd I tried it and all my images work. As a bonus it suits me better than Daemon Tools, so thanks for the heads-up!
    Last edited by Black_Fox; 19th August 2010 at 23:44.
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

I don't care much for copy-protection. Call me weird, but I create images from my CDs to prolong their lifetime and I use cracks to evade the eventual need for cd
    I call you nothing, as I can understand theoretically some of these arguments. But I personally don't do it.
    I tried it and all my images work. As a bonus it suits me better than Daemon Tools, so thanks for the heads-up!
    You're welcome, it was my pleasure

Best regards!